Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Great Tutorial: How to Blockprint


Hello, world! I wanted to share this excellent blockprinting tutorial with you. Last week I led a craft night project at the Etsy Labs was carving your own stamp, and this tutorial is one of the resources I recommended on the handout.

There are many wonderful resources out there on blockprinting, and I have to say that this one created by LizzyHouse is one of my favorites. I was seem to return to this tutorial and recommend it to others. It's very detailed, full of great tips, and interspersed with lovely, clear photos. If this doesn't make you reach for your carving tools (or dash to the art store to get some), I don't know what will! Check out the tutorial here and be sure to scroll to the bottom to download the PDF.

Here are a few further resources that I'd recommend as well:

Books:
Linoleum Block Printing by Francis J. Kafka

Lotta Prints: How to Print Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
by Lotta Jansdotter

Lino-Cuts by Claude Flight

Hand Block Printing on Fabrics by T.J. Corbin

The Craft of Woodcuts by John R. Biggs

Groups:
Printsy (Etsy's printmaking team)

Block Prints Flickr group

Suppliers:
New York Central (my favorite!)

Daniel Smith

Dick Blick

Also, be sure to support your local art supply store!




No comments: